|No Map Available||Added to web site: June 17, 2005|
Franklinville began early in the nineteenth century as a tiny community in the north-west corner of Groton. There were three small lumbermills on the narrow ravine, and some called the place "Devils Den", for the dangerous ravine in the area. The name is no longer used.
| Pleasant Valley|
Map circa 1941
||Added to web site: May 23, 2005|
Pleasant Valley was the designation given in the late nineteenth century to a one-room school and a Wesleyan Methodist Church. Pleasant Valley included dirt roads bordered by fields, meadowns and pastures. From some of the hills of Pleasant Valley one culd view the church spires of the small village of Peruville.
| Groton City|
Map circa 1991
||Added to web site: April 4, 2005
Groton City is a small hamlet in the northeastern part of the town located by Fall Creek. Originally called "Slab City", it was a lumbering community with numerous sawmills. The term "Slab City" was probably derived from the slabs of wood from the mills. . .
Settlement began even before the change of name. Lot #59 was given to Captain Daniel Niven in payment for his military service. Captain Lemi Bradley purchased a portion of his land and settled there. Bradley became a Major during the War of 1812. Another part of Niven's land was purchased by Jesse Bartholomew. William S. Clark, Esq. purchased water privileges and built a dam and machinery for clothing works.
Shortly after the Revoluntary War, Captain Jesse Clark also bought 64 acres in this area and some of his decendants still reside in the town. A post office established in Groton (City) in 1824 was named Fall Creek Post Office but was discontinued in 1841. The Post Office was re-established under the name of Groton City in 1849, closing in 1902. The name "Groton City" is still used for this area.
|Map circa 1996
||Added to web site: March 4, 2005
Peruville is located in the southern part of the Town of Groton close to the border with Dryden. In 1818 it was known as Peru, which may have been derived from the Town of Peru, which was one the three original towns in Herkimer County. There was also Peru, Massachusetts, which was near Groton, Massachusetts. Another possibility is that the name might have been taken from the news.
Levi Bodley surveyed the hamlet in 1817. Owasco Inlet flows through Peuville and was used to run saw- and gristmills. There was also a tannery, a blacksmith shop, and ashery, a log tavern, and a distillery. In 1833 Perville had its own post office. In 1830 Sylvanus Larned was the first Justice of the Pease to be elected by the people.
| Nubia |
Map circa 1941
||Added to web site: February 4, 2005
Nubia is a small community that formed in the 19th century just south of Lafayette. It was originally known as Gooseville becaue of the number of geese kept there, and later it was called Footville, after a local family. In 1893 the Post Office Department demanded a more formal name becaue it was about to establish an office there. When none of the names suggested were deemed suitable, someone in the Post Office hierarchy suggested Nubia. The residents, according to Glenn Norris, did not think much of the name. When the Post Office established Rural Free Delivery in 1902, the Nubia Post Office was discontinured. (Find more information about Nubia in the book mentioned at the top of this table.)
| Benson's Corners|
Map circa 1941
||Added to web site: January 2005
Benson's Corners is a crossroads
named for pioneer settler Nathan Benson.
It marks the area where families with the
name of Benson still live. Earlier , in 1833, a
post office called Bensonville was established
at the crossroads with Nelson F. Benson
the first post master. The post office was
discontinued in 1902 and after that the name fell from use.